Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Spinach & Arugula Strawberry Champagne Salad

              You guys know how much I adore a little alcohol now and then.  It's even better when it is in food.
Never Dessert You Spinach & Arugula Strawberry Champagne Salad
               So you should know I was super excited when Carrie from Frugal Foodie Momma and
Julie from This Gal Cooks decided to team up together to present the Spiked Recipe Challenge.
      Of course I had to get on this bandwagon.  I told you guys before I am going to change some stuff up here on NDY.  Well at first I wanted to do a dessert, but I decided to bring other types of food on NDY.  Just to try different options.  I decided to do one of my family favorite salads with a twist.

Never Dessert You Spinach & Arugula Strawberry Champagne Salad

    Getting my daughters to eat a spinach salad is like finding a needle in a haystack.  But add some strawberries and candied pecans they love it.  I did some homemade vinaigrette with champagne and red wine vinegar to give that sparkle booze feeling in your mouth.   The candied pecans even has some champagne in it.  

   This salad is a mix of healthy with decadent feta cheese and sweet candied pecans on crisp greens combined with a simple booze homemade vinaigrette.  Trust me this salad will have you craving for this everyday.


Strawberry Champagne Spinach & Arugula Salad

Vinaigrette

1/2 cup sliced and hulled strawberries
2 tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
2 tbsp. Champagne
1 tbs. sugar
Pinch Salt

Candied Pecans

2 tsp. butter
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. honey
1/2 cup pecans
2 tsp. champagne
1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Salad

3 cups Spinach and Arugula leaves, rinsed and tried
5-6 Sliced fresh strawberries, topping
4 tbsp. Feta cheese
1/2 cup Candied Pecan (Recipe Above)


Instructions

For the vinaigrette:  In a blender, or food processor combine strawberries, vinegar, champagne, and salt.  Process until the mixture is completely combined and smooth.  Transfer to a closed container and refrigerate until ready to use.

For the pecans: Melt butter over medium heat.  Add the sugar, pecans, honey and champagne; increase heat to high.  Stir constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is golden and bubbly.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Immediately transfer pecan to parchment paper to cool.

Assemble salad:  Top greens with sliced strawberries, pecans, and feta cheese.  Drizzle on strawberry champagne vinaigrette.  Serve immediately.

Inspired by Annie's Eats




7 comments:

  1. I do NOT like fruit in my salad! BUT THIS LOOKS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And healthy!! Love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I love strawberries in salad. Yum!

    I'm your newest follower via GFC! Come visit me over at My Sesame Seed Buns sometime! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so sophisticated! I absolutely adore arugula. :) Fabulous idea to make a vinaigrette with the champagne!

    Thank you so much for entering Julie & I's first ever Spiked! Recipe Challenge! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love your idea for a salad with champagne vinaigrette -- looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious. I have never had fruit in a salad before

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...