Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Raspberry White Chocolate Swirl Ice Cream


July is known as the national ice cream month, but I could not wait to make this ice cream.  

But no worries for the National Ice Cream Day I would have a special treat in store for you guys.  I was too excited when I bought the ice cream attachment for my kitchen-aid maker so I had an obligation to test it out, of course. 

Today in Atlanta it is a whopping 100 degrees, and this ice cream is a wonderful creamy and fruity dessert that will definitely keep a smile on your face, and you would not even notice it is so hot. 

Last weekend I was watching Throwdown with Blobby Flay onFood Network.  He was challenging Jeff at Izzy’s Ice Cream.  I came in the middle of the episode, but what caught my attention was when I heard Raspberry White Chocolate Crackle Ice cream.  Unfortunately Bobby lost, but if he had this recipe he would have knocked it out of the park.

I was skeptical at first about the white chocolate, but it tastes wonderful with the fresh raspberries and some vodka. 

Raspberry White Chocolate Swirl Ice Cream

Raspberry Swirl

1 1/2 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen (I prefer fresh)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon vodka

Ice Cream
8 oz white chocolate, finely chopped (the less cocoa butter, the better)
1 cup whole milk
2/3 cup sugar
pinch salt
5 large egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream

To make the raspberry swirl: Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mash together with a fork until juicy but still with chunks of raspberries. 
Chill in your refrigerator while you make the ice cream.

To make the ice cream: Add the chocolate to a large heatproof bowl, and set a mesh strainer on top of the bowl.  Set aside.

Warm the milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan.  Pour the cream into a large bow and set a mesh strainer over the top.
In a separate medium bowl whisk the egg yolks in a heatproof bowl.  Slowly pour thee warm milk mixture to the egg yolks, whisking constantly then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.  Stir constantly until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon (about 170-175 F on an instant read thermometer).  Pour through the strainer into the bowl with the white chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth.  Mix in the heavy cream.

Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled (overnight is good).  Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.  Transfer to an airtight container in layers starting with the ice cream and then top with the raspberry mixture.
Recipe adapted from Tracey's Culinary Adventures and The Perfect Scoop

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm yummy!!! This looks delicious. I have always wanted to try to make some ice cream but I don't have the tools and I'm afraid it may not turn out right.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...