I love that this recipe does not ask for much chocolate and is so gooey, and rich. It is sweet and full of the butterscotch flavor. And the best part is it is topped with Nutella and cream cheese.
I cut them up into small squares, and served at my job. These bad boys went fast. Everyone loved the sweet breakfast treat that quenched their sweet tooth desire.
1 ½ cups packed light brown sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 large eggs plus 1 large yolk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (I used unbleached flour)
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 ½ cups butterscotch chip
4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
¾ cup Nutella
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9-by-13 inch baking pan and line with foil, letting ends of foil hang 3 inches over the 2 long edges. Grease foil.
2. Combine sugar and butter in a large pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until butter has melted and sugar has dissolved (mixture will not look combined). Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Whisk in 2 whole eggs and vanilla.
3. A bowl, whisk flour with baking powder and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture: mix until smooth. Fold in butterscotch chips. Spread evenly in pan.
4. Using an electric mix on medium speed, beat cream cheese with egg yolk and Nutella until smooth. Drop spoonfuls’s of Nutella mixture over batter in pan and use the tip of a small knife to swirl it in, making a decorative pattern. Be careful not to scrape bottom of pan.
5. Bake until blondies are just set in the center and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack, then cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours. Run a sharp knife along edges of pan to loosen, and then remove blondies from pan using foil handles. Cut into squares and serve at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from ALL You Magazine